Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Appointment Follow-Up

It has been very hot here. At least hot for these parts though I know in many parts of the USA and other countries it can get much hotter.

All week we've had temperatures of about 35 Celsius at the local airport. That usually means a few degrees hotter where I live. I've had the fans going night and day, am wearing very loose cotton clothing and very lazy to do anything but drink cold water, eat lightly and read a good book. So I finished The Known World.



I didn't quite know what to expect from this book. I would say it was quite eye opening for someone like me who didn't grow up in the South.  Though I have seen various movies and read various books, watched different interviews about slavery, etc. I can always stand to learn more about the slave trade and what life must have been like for slaves and their families.  I would recommend it if you haven't already read it. I believe in educating oneself about different issues affecting our world.

I have also been preoccupied this weekend by the passing of an older cousin of mine, and by issues pertaining to my mother's health (pressure wounds) and on going wheelchair issues.

My cousin is the eldest daughter of my aunt who died a couple of years ago.  My aunt's funeral was the last family funeral I attended and I won't be able to make it to this one either due to the very long journey.  It is so sad as you see your elders passing. Not only for those left behind but because the family becomes smaller to those of us who are older. There are so many younger relatives that I've never met and will likely never meet. I never thought that would ever happen.

Mom's wheelchair stopped on Monday. Again! This is like the 5th or 6th time since she first came into possession of it in January 2014. It seems a screw fell out after the chair was "bumped".  Loss of the screw affected the tilting mechanism and more, which rendered her chair unusable. The mechanic couldn't make a service visit until Tuesday.  When I talked to mom Tuesday night she said the staff told her that she would be out of bed early on Wednesday and that the chair had been fixed.  These days she is usually in bed every other day all day to alleviate the pressure on her sores. She is then supposed to be turned on her side every few hours to help with the healing process.

Also on Monday, the nurse practitioner performed a treatment on mom by opening up her wounds to have a look below and see what is going on.

The good news is that the healing of the wounds below seems to have progressed over the past 6 months. That means the staff and nurses will continue doing what they are doing to treat the wounds.
That was great news to me because I wasn't sure what they would find.

However, I didn't get the promised phone call about a rescheduled appointment with the doctor after the original appointment got cancelled last week. I called today to get an update.  The appointment is now set for August 19th at 8:30 a.m.  This means a day trip is out of the question.  But between now and August 19th it is possible that her wounds will heal well enough that the doctor's appointment may not even be necessary.  They will assess the situation about a week in advance of the new appointment.

It means I won't be seeing mom for another month or more so I have to prepare another care package. She is always in need of over the counter items from the drug store, some food and items of clothing. I don't know why but it seems like mom always needs or wants something that is very hard to find.  She doesn't do that deliberately. It is just how it works out.  It means more time is required to hunt things down for her before they can be delivered.   I also have her clothing repairs to do but will send those later when I have time and energy to do the mending. Besides, right now it is too hot to sit at a sewing machine.

I have a question for those of you out there who are cooks. 

I'm wondering what you do on very hot days for meals so that you don't overheat your kitchen?

It is supposed to be back to rain here by Saturday but in the meantime we have several hot days ahead. It will be fun to read how you deal with hot weather meals.  On that note I am heading out soon to buy some watermelon. I love it but I am only supposed to eat a small amount due to the high sugar content.

19 comments:

Terra said...

Cooking fish in a pan only takes a few minutes, less than 10, and it doesn't heat the kitchen. We don't use the oven in hot weather, that is for sure. A big salad with some canned tuna fish in it is a nice meal too.

jabbott said...

glad your mom is doing better.I hope you wont need the follow up appointments.What warm weather your getting, not sure what to tell you to cook,but its hot here in England.I have made casorole and sitting in the garden while its cooking in the oven and doing other things.least im not hanging around a hot kitchen standing over a pan

Joy said...

I'm sorry to hear of another family loss, Joyful - family 'equations' keep changing, my 100-year-old Aunt passed over last week (in Scotland) and that is the end of an era for us as she was the last of my Dad's siblings to go, and in fact the last of that generation.
It's good news regarding your Mom's wound and I do hope the healing continues well; such a nuisance about the wheelchair though, and especially her 'sores'; that is a difficult situation too.
So all in all you are kept very busy Joyful and the heat makes your situation more difficult. In summer we usually eat lots of salads and do BBQs, and we also have a little gas ring for outside and hubby does things like corned beef and smelly foods out there all year really as the area is undercover. It not only avoids heating the house but also keeps us free from cooking smells too, which is a big bonus. Wishing you and your Mom well, blessings, Joy xo

Cynthia said...

When it's really hot here,I set the crockpot outside on the patio to cook. I have a small toaster oven I can take out there as well to keep from heating up the kitchen. I eat a lot of cold salads and fruit with cheese and nuts for protein.

Rosemary said...

Glad to hear you are able to help your mother :) Hope you're enjoying the cooler temperatures and the beautiful breeze.

Joyful said...

Thankfully the temperatures were much cooler today but there were no breezes. We get (welcome) rain on Friday for a few days. It should help to cool things down. x

Joyful said...

I'm so sorry for your loss too Joy. It sounds like your aunt had a long and good life. I am keeping busy for sure. I have to do all things around my mom's needs. Sometimes it is difficult to plan ahead too much. I don't know what I did for meals last year when it was hot, lol. But thankfully the heat subsided a bit today.

Joyful said...

After all my work on the patio this summer, I should be sitting out there enjoying the garden. But sometimes when it is too hot there isn't enough shade until late in day or early evening. I'm glad you have a cool place to sit.

tiptoethruphylsgarden.blogspot.com said...

I also cook in the crock pot.I`ve been picking raspberries & blueberries right off the vines & bushes too. I don`t eat much meat.
I`m glad your mom`s pressure sores are better.They are hard to get all healed up completely.I`m sure she appreciates her care packages.
The weather has become lovely here after storms went through.I am playing catch-up on outdoor work.Take care,Phyllis

Margie said...

Good news on your mom's healing but sad news on losing your family member.
On hot days I like to cook on the grill (actually my husband does most of the cooking on it)

Take care
xx

Anonymous said...

I thought this was a wonderful book!

Jan said...

Hello I thought I had left a comment a few days ago. It said something like.....that looks an interesting book, and hope your Mum's wheelchair is soon fixed. Other things too about cooking in the heat. Glad I looked in again today as my comment seems lost somewhere. Sending love. Xx

John's Island said...

Hi Joyful, Sunday greetings to you up in beautiful BC. You have a real knack of being able to describe what is going on in your life and I wish I had that ability. Well, I will continue to keep you and your mom in my prayers. Hopefully her wounds will be healed enough that she won’t need the next doctor appointment. And, my goodness, let’s hope for some reliability with that wheelchair. Here in my neighborhood (I live near Capitol Hill in Seattle) I see people out in wheelchairs all the time … many of them are battery operated … and they are rolling all over the neighborhood. I would have thought the chairs must be well built in order to take the kind of daily use they get. I certainly agree with you about the heat! It has been oppressive down here as well. Now, I’m not one to consult when it comes to cooking : - ) although I am the one in charge of fixing the meals here. On really warm days I fix big salads for dinner. It’s pretty standard fare … a variety of lettuce and other greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, sliced black olives … and then there are the add-ons like some diced turkey from the deli … perhaps ham … avocado etc., and … if I’m in the mood … a fresh jalapeno on the side. Of course, that is sort of like adding heat to the whole thing which is supposed to be cool … so I’ll have a nice big glass of iced tea ready. How does that all sound? Well, thanks again for sharing on your blog and keeping an eye on mine. Have a good week ahead and best regards from just a little way down the coast. John

Joyful said...

Phyllis, so lovely to see you again. Thanks for the tips about hot weather cooking. I gave up my crock pot some time ago because I can't wait 12 hours for a meal. It is too slow for my liking, lol. I am sure you are enjoying working in the garden. Take care about the heat. xx

Joyful said...

Thank you Margie for your kind words. Aren't you a lucky gal with your husband doing most of the cooking!

Joyful said...

Thank you Lady Fi. I enjoyed it too!

Joyful said...

Hi Jan, I've noticed that I now have to type in my blog comment AFTER logging in otherwise the comment disappears in to thin air when I hit "publish". This didn't use to be the case and I'm not sure when it all changed. I'm glad to see you in blogland again. Please don't be a stranger. Lots of love to you too. xx

Joyful said...

Sunday greetings to you too John and thank you so much for your kind words about my descriptions and for my mom's health. It is certainly nice when wheelchairs work as they should and I do believe that most can take a beating. Luckily for those that have one that works. I too love salads like you but don't often put deli meat in them. I should start doing that for a "full meal deal", lol Iced tea is always nice too. I'm a bit lazy making it so I use powdered ice tea and then I add several tea bags and fresh slices of fruit; mostly lemons but also oranges and limes from time to time. See you soon at your blog.

John's Island said...

Hi Joyful, Just stopping by to see how your week is going. Thank you for your reply here and also for your kind comments on my blog. Thought about you today ... we had a great refreshing rain and I wondered if you had the same up north. After we talked about the hot weather, and after the extended dry period, it was so nice to have a good ol' rainy day ... just hearing the rain on the window makes it enjoyable. At times the rain was heavy so it seems everything is washed down and looking fresh and clean. Hope things are going well with your mom. Thank you for your suggestion about powdered ice tea ... I'm going to buy some of that today at the grocery store. Take care and be well ... looking forward to your next comments. John

City Gardens, Weather & Cooking

Hello dear friends and fellow bloggers, Time passed too quickly this month and before you know it May will be here.  With it's return th...